Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Labor Day Birthday

When Monday comes, I will be another year older -- Monday night to be more precise, at approximately 9 p.m. Monday will also be Labor Day.
I was born the day before Labor Day, but my mama said that I was born on “labor day.”
I have labored throughout my life. I have worked. I have attended school and college. I have been labored for myself and for others. There are many jobs that I enjoy doing, others I hate doing.
The one thing that I will always love doing, no matter how hard it might be and no matter how much I might seem to hate it at times, is helping my family.
My family needs me and I need them. My father needs me. My brother Danny needs me. My sister Abbie needs me.
Daddy just suffered a broken hip but he does all that he can. Danny has lost all his vision in one eye and has problems with his feet due to his diabetes, yet he works a full-time job and helps around the house, cooking and cleaning. Abbie is mentally challenged, yet she is there to lift our spirits. I have had my own health problems, but I go. I work a full-time job. I get Danny to the eye doctor and to work. I get Daddy to the doctor. When he was doing physical therapy, I visited him every single day. When he was in Gainesville, I visited him almost every day.
I don’t believe that it’s just enough to say that you love someone. I believe that your actions have to back it up. My family and I show our love for each other through our actions.

No comments: