Friday, June 26, 2009

Death Of An Angel And A King

It’s always sad when someone you grew up with dies. It’s even sad when they are someone you grew up watching on television or you grew up listening to them on the radio.
The first time I saw Farrah Fawcett on Charlie’s Angels, I thought she was the most beautiful woman that I had ever seen. She had stunning blue eyes and masses of gorgeous blonde tresses on a streamlined, tanned body. Beauty fades, however, and Farrah’s beauty also faded due to the ravages of health. I will always remember her as she was when I was 12 or 13 years old.
I don’t remember the first time I saw or heard Michael Jackson. It seems like he was always there. I was never a big fan of Michael, but I was entertained by him. He could possibly be the greatest entertainer of all time. Although I was not a big fan, I would always stop and take a look when one of his videos was on or if he was on TV, doing a moonwalk across the stage. Later, his life was filled with controversy, as he was charged with child molestation. This morning, the Jackson family attorney was on Fox and Friends and he said that Michael had a problem with prescription drugs? Did the “King of Pop” die the same way that Elvis, “the King of Rock and Roll,” died? Was it prescription drugs?
Why has everyone spoken so much of a man whose life was filled with so much controversy? Fox and Friends co-anchor Steve Doocy probably gave the best answer with this short response: “We’re conflicted.” People are, indeed, conflicted over the death of someone they were entertained by but also shocked by.
I don’t know where Farrah or Michael stood with God when they made their crossings. I do know that Michael is no longer “the King of Pop” or any other type of king. I know that Farrah is no longer a “Charlie’s Angel” or any other type of angel. People do not become angels when they go to Heaven. God gave man a free will and men can repent of their sins. Angels cannot.
I hope that Farrah and Michael were ready when death came for them and I pray that their families and friends will be comforted during this trying time.

No comments: