Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Another Career Path

Although I love my job, I sometimes consider what it would be like if I had chosen another career path and, then, I think, they have many of the same problems I do.
If I had been a policeman, I wouldn’t only have to deal with angry people. I might even have to deal with them shooting at me. I would also have the awesome responsibility of protecting them.
If I had been a teacher, I would sometimes have to deal with angry parents and angry children, plus I would have the awesome responsibility of a child’s life in my hands.
If I had been a minister, I might have to deal with church members getting upset with me. I would also have the awesome responsibility of presenting the gospel of Jesus Christ to them each and every service.
If I had been a paramedic or a doctor or a nurse, a person’s life would be in my hands at any give time. I don’t know if I could handle this type of responsibility.
There are responsibilities and stress factors in each and every job there is, whether it is a farmer, a laborer at a plant or a house cleaner.
Maybe I don’t mind my job so much. Sure, I might have to deal with half of the county being angry at me at any given time and half of the county applauding me. Sure, I might have to deal with the tremendous stress of the newspaper business and the tremendous stress I have had to deal with at home and with my own health for the last year. I would rather be working than not working.
My ideal job would be as a bestselling novelist. I’m sure that, even then, I would find plenty to stress me out about.
I salute all the business people, the firefighters, the police men and women, the farmers, the soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen, the school teachers – everyone who has a job and makes America the great land that it is!

No comments: